There is a change in presentation of the advertising campaigns due technological changes, but the concept of advertising on radios is implemented from a long time. Normally when the Indian Scenario is analysed, the radio stations are of two types – Government radio stations and the FM radio stations which are managed by private management. The all-time favourite All India Radio is managed by the government.
However, the introduction of FM radio technology in India has created a new revolution. Radio City was the first private FM Radio channel that was introduced in Bengaluru on 3rd July 2001. The popularity of Radio city attracted many new entrants and many new private FM radio channels came into existence. Right now the number of private FM Radio stations is about 80 in India. Among the FM radio channels available in India, the following are the top 5 Hindi Radio Channels –
- Radio City
- Radio Mirchi
- FM AIR Rainbow
- Red FM
- Radio One
Radio is a device that can be used anywhere provided it gets connected to the signals of the respective radio station. This feature attracts many advertisers to use the radio platform for their promotions. FM Radio provides the following benefits:
- Local targeting: When an advertiser wants to focus on a single area, he/she can approach the FM radio channel popular in the locality and advertise.
- Cost: When compared to other advertising strategies, the cost incurred on advertising on FM Radio is comparatively less. Moreover, due to competition, the Radio channels provide a discount offer to the advertiser based on the advertisement campaign.
- Repetition: Radio provides an option of repeating an advertisement according the requirement and contract with the advertiser. This way, the listener cannot avoid the advertisements and gets the awareness of the product.
What are the advertising options available on FM Radio?
- Jingles: Advertisements can be broadcasted in the form of a beautiful jingle and repeated broadcasting will make the listener aware of the wordings of the jingle. So whenever the jingle is heard, the listener remembers the product.
- Radio Jockey: The services of the Radio Jockey can be used for advertising products. A popular Radio Jockey will have huge fan following. Hence, the advertisement campaigns reach all the fans and from them, it is spread everywhere.
- Contests: Whenever a contest is held on an FM radio channel, the interaction with the public is more. The brand can be promoted during those public interactions.
- Sponsorship: A sponsorship of a radio program will attract great publicity, Hence, in between the programs, there is a chance for Radio Jockey to speak about the brand or discuss its features and advantages. This sponsorship can be made based on the requirement of the advertiser.
What are the FM radio advertising charges?
As the advertisements broadcasted through radio are audible, every sec is countable. The unit of measurement of advertisement time is 10 sec. The popularity of the FM radio controls the cost. Hence the cost per 10 sec may range from Rs. 50 to Rs. 2500. However, these rates are negotiable based on the volume of the advertisement content and the number of times it has to be broadcasted. Sometimes, the advertising option in radio also affect the cost of the advertisement.
Conclusion: As there are several FM radio channels available; the advertiser may get confused in choosing the right FM radio channel. A proper analysis of the FM radio channel has to be done before advertising.